Thursday, May 31, 2012

When I grow up...

I want to be a neurosurgeon.

You need to know that I never had the greatest luck when it came to getting the good science teachers, but I do believe there is one good thing that came out of all my years in science. When I took anatomy, a book called Gifted Hands was on our supplies list. We never read it. But for some reason I decided I'd read it on my own and ever since I've been fascinated and oddly excited at the idea of neurosurgery. Gifted Hands was written by M.D. Benjamin Carson and tells his inspirational story of how became such a gifted surgeon. He is the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore and is famous for preforming the first successful hemispherectomy, in which he removed half of a girl's brain (who had suffered from seizures) and she survived. Basically...I'm just so intrigued and inspired by that! I want to meet him one day. And then who knows...maybe one day I'll be a neurosurgeon too.


An excerpt from the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment